Who served


'

Yes, most upper middle class males did not serve in the Vietnam War.  I enlisted anyway because I could not, at the time, read on a college level.  Therefore the draft was eminent.  After joining the service I refused to cheat by means of distributed answers to an upcoming electronics test at Kessler Air Force base. I failed the test and was removed from military electronics training.  My assignment then became 'Cook'.  The four year enlistment could never have been anticipated: one year in Biloxi Mississippi, one year in Myrtle Beach South Carolina, and two years forty miles from Seville Spain. The rest is a fairy tale for a young romantic with artistic ambitions.  


One last note.  Loudspeakers did play the popular songs of 1965 during one rainy day at basic training.  I can still hear the words sung by Aretha Franklin.

Source  Pitch article by Zach Schonfeld  pitchfork.com  youtube.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog